East Chicago R&D

By the numbers

Global Research & Development

12 research and development centers

1,400  global R&D employees

 

East Chicago Research & Development

658 patents from East Chicago R&D

20 countries currently represented in the R&D staff

200 East Chicago R&D employees

150,000 square footage under roof

25 dedicated lab areas in 5 buildings

49 acres of land

10 acres of protected dune and swale habitat


Some East Chicago R&D milestones


1967

Moved Research Center from Purdue University Calumet in Hammond to new East Chicago Center. The original buildings A, C and E, designed by world renowned architectural firm Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, won the American Institute of Architecture Award in 1969

1968

Technology for continuously annealed, martensitic sheet steels received patents

1983

Suite of dual phase and martensitic steels introduced to the marketplace

1987

Fluxed pellets introduced into No. 7 blast furnace at Indiana Harbor, the largest blast furnace in North America

1991

Bake Hard products for exposed automotive panels introduced to the marketplace

2007

E building opened with additional mechanical testing, advanced formability and corrosive testing laboratories. Independent ArcelorMittal research centers across the globe consolidated to form ArcelorMittal Global Research and Development

2012

Globally rare dune and swale habitat discovered on the property. Restoration efforts began with 10 acres preserved.The habitat serves as a destination for the local community to learn about the environment.

2014

Introduction of the industry's first single-piece laser welded Usibor 1500 door ring on the 2014 Acura MDX

2017

AccTech, a first of its kind plate cooling system, was implemented at Burns Harbor